Power of Effective Communication
Successful communication enables people to interact more effectively with others in all areas of their relationships, both professional and personal.
It is not a coincidence that coaching clients in communication techniques is one of the most passionate areas of my practice. These techniques help them become fully aware of the power and impact of language and how successful communication contributes to their successes in life.
So, what do we mean by effective communication? After all we do it every day and don’t think about it. We put our mouth in gear and talk. But are we communicating successfully, or are we just talking?
By putting good communication skills into use, you can communicate and influence at every level in your business workplace, from support staff to senior executives. The formula is the same.
Lee Iacocca said: “We can have brilliant ideas, but if you can’t get them across, your ideas won’t get you anywhere.”
How many of us have had brilliant ideas that went nowhere because we couldn’t sell them to our boss, manager or client? What would it be like if you had the ability to influence or persuade another to embrace that idea and set it in motion?
What gets in the way of making sure your message is clear and well understood?
Here are some basic communication skills to start putting into use immediately:
- Provide all the necessary information taking care not to omit important parts of the message.
- Be direct, clear and congruent…Content, voice, tone and body language should all say the same thing.
- Active listening means one thing. Hear what people are really saying.
- How well we listen has a major impact on our effectiveness in our jobs and in the quality of our relationships with others.
- FACT: People only hear 25-50% of what we say and they hear it within the first 2½ to 5 minutes of the communication.
Become Aware of Body Language
- Our body language makes up 50% of the impact of our message. We need to ensure that our non verbal impression matches what we are saying
Ask Powerful Questions
- Asking questions shows that we are listening. This tool allows the listener to glean new information and to get clarity on what is being said.
Focus, Focus, Focus
- In this digital age, we function as sick patients hooked up to the life support of our blackberries, e‑mails, cell phones and text messages; without them, we would die an abrupt death.
- What we give up in this mobile, high tech age is the ability to focus. Instead distractions constantly keep us from listening to what others are saying and severely limits our ability to focus on details in our life.
- Without distractions and multitasking we become more productive and effective.
How would your professional and personal life change if you could successfully master these basic skills?
Can you afford not to make the investment to improve your communication? You will be amazed at the startling turn your life will take once you learn how to communicate effectively and successfully.
Did you know that the most important asset to a company or to a client is a person who communicates effectively, someone who has the ability to influence and persuade others?
Are you communicating successfully and effectively to influence others or are you just talking?
If you’d like to share your feedback, please send Terry an email